Newly recruited Production Chemists working with drilling fluids and Well Engineers and Production Technologists prior to their initial hands on well-site training. Also recommended for all staff who will be assigned to the well-site for operational duties (e.g. Well-site Petroleum Engineers).
At the end of this module, participants should be able to:
· List the main types of wellbore instability
· Describe the processes that create unstable wellbore conditions
· Describe the process for stabilizing unconsolidated formations
· Describe the shale cycle and chemical stabilizing techniques
· Describe the tectonic stress failure mode and stabilizing techniques
· Describe early warning signs and identification techniques
· What is borehole stability?
· Why tackle borehole stability
· Stresses and pressures in a basin
· Abnormal pressures
· Drilling process – role of drilling fluid
· Shale instability and control
· Tectonic stress failure
· Borehole breakout